Business and employee benefits of a workplace active travel plan - i.e. using a bike to commute to work...
The results of the SUSTRANS study
Healthier, more productive staff
- Employees who cycle to work are fitter, healthier, happier, and less likely to take sick days. 
- Our survey of people who cycle on the National Cycle Network found they take nearly half as many sick days as the average UK worker. 
- Employers involved in the Bikes for Business scheme estimated the average savings to the organisation at £25-80 per month per bike. 
- GlaxoSmithKline found that investing in those willing to give up their cars enabled them to make an annual saving of £2,000 per car parking space reduced. 
- Transport for London has estimated that removing one car parking space could save up to £2,000 per year in high-density urban areas. 
- Rush-hour congestion can have an impact on the economy by preventing the movement of goods and services. Congestion on England’s roads cost the economy over £10 billion a year in urban areas alone in 2009 and could rise to £22 billion by 2025. 
Reduced carbon emissions
- The total cost of the carbon emissions for car trips made in the UK each year is £3.98 billion. 
- If the journeys made on the National Cycle Network during 2012 had been by car the potential CO2 emitted during the year would have been 883,904 tonnes, at a cost of £51.2 million. 
Attracting and retaining talent
- The ‘millennials’ (those born after 1983) will make up 75% of the workforce by 2025. They think that their employer should be doing more to reduce their impact on the environment, particularly in terms of reducing resource scarcity and combatting climate change. 
Here is the full report
One of the main ways of justifying this is through commercial benefit. The Green Commute Initiative is designed to do jus that. We can register your business with the GCI. Get in touch and we will explain more
Who are Sustrans?
“We are the charity that makes it easier for people to walk and cycle.”
We are engineers and educators, experts and advocates. We connect people and places, create livable neighbourhoods, transform the school run and deliver a happier, healthier commute.
Sustrans works in partnership, bringing people together to find the right solutions. We make the case for walking and cycling by using robust evidence and showing what can be done.
We are grounded in communities and believe that grassroots support combined with political leadership drives real change, fast.